Breaking thick concrete without a jackhammer can be a challenging task, but Melbourne concrete cutting experts employ alternative tools and processes to accomplish this. While the specific methods may vary depending on the circumstances, here are some common approaches used in Melbourne:
- Diamond Sawing: Diamond sawing is a widely used technique that involves using a diamond-tipped saw blade to cut through concrete. For thick concrete, experts may utilize a wire saw or a chain saw equipped with diamond segments. This method allows for controlled and precise cuts, enabling sections of the concrete to be removed gradually.
- Concrete Core Drilling: In situations where complete removal of the concrete is not necessary, core drilling is employed. A core drill with a diamond-tipped bit is used to drill cylindrical holes into the concrete. By strategically drilling multiple holes, it weakens the concrete, making it easier to break apart using other tools.
- Expansive Grout: Expansive grout, also known as non-explosive demolition agent, can be used to break thick concrete without the need for heavy machinery. This chemical compound is poured into pre-drilled holes in the concrete. As it cures, it expands and exerts pressure on the surrounding concrete, causing it to crack and break.
- Hydraulic Splitters: Hydraulic splitters are hydraulic-powered tools that can be effective in breaking thick concrete. They work by inserting a pair of wedges into a pre-drilled hole and then applying hydraulic pressure to force the wedges apart. The expanding force generated by the hydraulic splitter causes the concrete to crack and break along a predetermined line.
- Thermal Tools: In some cases, thermal tools such as thermal lances or thermal plasma cutting can be employed. These tools utilize intense heat to melt and cut through the concrete. However, the use of thermal tools requires expertise and careful consideration of safety measures.
When it comes to different types of concrete, experts in Melbourne take into account the specific characteristics of the material. For example, reinforced concrete containing steel reinforcement may require additional techniques, such as wire sawing or using diamond blades specifically designed for reinforced concrete cutting. High-strength concrete, which is denser and stronger, may require specialized equipment and blades capable of handling the increased resistance.
It’s important to note that breaking thick concrete should be approached with caution, and it is advisable to consult with experienced concrete cutting professionals in Melbourne. They possess the necessary expertise, knowledge of local regulations, and access to appropriate tools to carry out the task safely and effectively.